Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Chipoltle Shrimp "Un-Tacos"

I did it! I created another scrumptious dish to place on the Flamingo Paradise menu: Chipoltle Shrimp "Un-Tacos". I use Boston lettuce as the vessel instead of tortillas in my attempt to eat cleaner. I don't really follow a recipe per se - I cook by mood and my desire for heat (spice). 

These hit the spot - they captured everything I adore about warm, tropical climates: the crispiness of the pico de gallo, warmth from the chipoltle, coolness of the cilantro-lime creme and of course the salty-spicy-goodness of the grilled shrimp! Not to forget the effervesce the freshly squeezed lime juice adds; it's tropicana right here in San Pablo :) 



Noted below is my "recipe"; basically - it's what I did with everything to taste:


  • Raw, shelled and deveined shrimp with tail on (25 count so about medium to large size): salt and pepper with a sprinkle of chipoltle pepper - let sit in a little olive oil and lime juice while preparing the pico de gallo and chipoltle cilantro lime sauce
  • Pico de gallo: medium tomato diced, half a small onion diced, chopped garlic to taste, lime juice, olive oil, sprinkle of sugar (or honey or agave), small diced jalapeƱo, chopped fresh cilantro, salt and pepper. 
  • Chipoltle cilantro lime sauce: plain Greek yogurt, chipoltle sauce, lime juice, chopped fresh cilantro.
  • Cook shrimp for about two minutes on each side in a pan with a little oil or on the grill until opaque and pink - don't overcook; right before I take it off the heat I add freshly minced garlic to add a kick of flavor (if cooking in the pan; if on the grill I dip a brush in the garlic and smear it over the shrimp) - this prevents the garlic from burning and tasting bad. 
  • When shrimp is cooked, remove from heat immediately to a bowl or plate so that it stops cooking. I like to squeeze a bit more fresh lime juice on them - brightens the flavor! Remove the tails, load a lettuce leaf (or tortilla) with about three shrimp, some pico and then some chipoltle creme - I sprinkled a bit more fresh cilantro on the top - damn tasty if I do say so myself. I hope you try it and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment