Monday, July 13, 2015


Avocado and Strawberry Salsa



One of the things I adore about Minnesota is its summer berry season; fresh strawberries to be more specific.



This year we have a bumper crop of Minnesota strawberries which helps keep me on my clean-eating journey. 
I found this recipe on Cooking Light and tweaked it a bit using some scrumptious ingredients I purchased at The Olive Grove Olive Oil Company in Mendota Heights, MN. I used their Persian Lime Olive Oil and Coconut Balsamic Vinegar. This combination took the salsa to a whole new tropical fresh level. 
Here’s the recipe, a modified version of the one I found at CookingLight.com:
  • 1 cup finely chopped/diced fresh strawberries
  • 1 finely chopped peeled avocado
  • 2 Tbs finely chopped red onion
  • 2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tsp finely chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper
  • ½ tsp grated lime zest
  • 2 Tbs fresh lime juice
  • ¼ tsp sugar
  • 1Tbs Persian Lime Olive Oil 
  • 1 tsp Coconut Balsamic Vinegar

Mix everything together and serve over fish or chicken. 

I like to add a little salt and pepper and little less red onion; really it can be further modified to your taste. I also like to peel, chop, and add the avocado right before I’m going to serve it; I find the presentation to be more appealing and less “slimy” looking.  As a complete meal I have served with fresh asparagus, green beans, or broccoli – all lightly steamed, served al dente. 





I think this recipe, especially when served with fish, makes for a delightful Flamingo Paradise signature dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment